Setting Goals: Maggie Moo vs Cupcakes

11:18 PM Moo 0 Comments



Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.- Jim Rohn


I found a great post on BJJ Today  about goal setting, which got me thinking. What do I want to accomplish? With the Blue belt test coming up in January and a sense of apathy setting in, I thought it was only appropriate to set a few goals outside of "not wrist locking myself" and "making sure my belt stays tied."

1. Maintain my clean eating regime. No sodas or large quantities of cupcakes :( I recently started a Clean Eats section to keep track of my nutrition and recipes I love!

2. Train at least 5 days a week when I can't do two a days.

3. Get down to 135-138  for my next competition so I can compete in the 141 and under.

4. Drill guard passing at every training.

5. Expand my open guard. After losing weight my open guard became pretty legit as I was no longer constantly going to the mount, but it could definitely use some fine tuning.

6. Become more comfortable attempting throws...did I mention I hate throws? Yeah, the Judo struggle is real!


7. Ankle picks, double legs, ankle picks, double legs! You get the point. Take downs are a crucial aspect of Jiu Jitsu. Coming from a  rugby background, this is an area where should I excel but it's also one I often forget about in competition.


8. Focus on two techniques monthly that I want to consistently work into my game.

9. Be First. Often I allow other people to initiate grips or take downs because I think I respond well, working from my back, but I would like to push the pace and be the person to get there first.

10. Start No-Gi, again. Our school has just added a No-Gi class and I am both excited and horrified to test my cardio.

What about you guys? What do you focus on in your BJJ game?



0 comments: