Team Texas: Mayra Cardenas

5:48 AM Moo 0 Comments


Name: Mayra Cardenas

Rank: Purple Belt

Where you train: Renzo Gracie Houston

How long have you been training? Since September 2014

Favorite Gi? Shoyoroll

What’s in your gym bag? Workout clothes- Monkey Tape and body spray

Favorite submission? Chokes and wrist locks

Favorite thing about the Jiu Jitsu community in Texas?
We support each other regardless of team affiliation. But when it’s time to compete, we fight for our team.

What’s one thing you would change about the Texas Jiu Jitsu community?
 BrewJitsu (benefitting the We Defy Foundation) showed me there’s nothing to change. It’s amazing.

What is your greatest accomplishment?
Showing my kids that hard work does pay off.

What has been your biggest struggle in Jiu Jitsu?
My type A personality gets humbled a lot. But it’s made me realize I need to keep working to get better. No one is indestructible. We can all break, but we can all also succeed.

If you could give any advice to your white belt self, what would it be? 
Calm down! This is the sages environment to train in. Listen. Let them teach you.

What motivates you to train on days when you just don’t feel like it?
Street survival is my job. Not just safety for me but for the people that count on me.

If you could take a private lesson with any Jiu Jitsu practitioner who would it be?
Professor Jared Weiner from BJJUNITED Why? His style and size is something that mirrors mine. I respect him immensely and his desire to better everyone but is loyal to his team.

Who is your favorite competitor to watch? ALL of them 

Who is your favorite TX competitor to watch? (outside of your current affiliation)
Melissa Lozano from Team Tooke and Olympia Watts from Gracie Barra Webster

What’s your perfect Jiu Jitsu playlist?
Reggaeton, hip hop and some old school Rap

What do you remember about your first day of Jiu Jitsu?
 I’m about to get my ass handed to me. Let’s do this!

What do you remember about your first tournament?
My kids were there and I didn’t want to disappoint them. Also, I felt I didn’t know any Jiu-Jitsu

What is your post-competition meal/restaurant? Anything with pizza and/or tacos!

When you’re not training Jiu Jitsu, where can we most likely find you? Spending time with my kids and my boyfriend. Shooting. Watching movies. Eating at Mikes seafood lol

Anything exciting coming up?
I’m excited every day I get to train and do the things I love. Looking to continue to compete and get outta that damn 3rd place spot

0 comments: