Team Texas: Stephanie Trevino

3:28 AM Moo 0 Comments


Name: Stephanie Natasha Trevino

Rank: 4 stripe blue belt

Where you train:
 Every where. My home school is Midtown MMA, I cross train a lot because of my schedule, Team Tooke’s, Revolution (my daughter trains there and they feel like my second family)

How long have you been training?
5 years. I used to take time off when I was bodybuilding

Favorite Gi?
My hyperfly, honestly the reason is it is my lightest gi and when you are trying to make weight, it comes in handy.

What’s in your gym bag?
Everything.  I train multiple times in a day so I have a gi, several changes of clothes, face wipes, deodorant, all my notebooks and razors in case I need to shave my legs on the go. Ha.

Favorite submission?
Chokes, chokes all day…. Cross collar or paper cutter

Favorite thing about the Jiu Jitsu community in Texas?
How amazing everyone is. So welcoming and just like one big family.

What’s one thing you would change about the Texas Jiu Jitsu community?
Easy. Have all the fierce women not be scared to be fierce. See there is a group of tough and aggressive competitive women who like to train and try to kill each other. We love it. That is not always welcomed and many times we are seen as too aggressive, too strong or you name it. With the women’s group we run, we are trying to change that. 

What is your greatest accomplishment?
Going back to school for my PhD it has always been my lifelong dream. Also taking a chance and starting my business. 7 years later, I am thankful for it.

What has been your biggest struggle in Jiu Jitsu?
 I would say my size and my strength puts me at this weird in between phase where I don’t know if I need to hold back or go harder with some.

If you could give any advice to your white belt self, what would it be? Compete. As much as you can, get out there and do it.

What motivates you to train on days when you just don’t feel like it?
Motivation? Nah, all discipline. Discipline is a muscle like anything else, you have to force it and before you know it, it becomes part of you. So, if I have a day I don’t feel like it, I tell myself STFU and train.

If you could take a private lesson with any Jiu Jitsu practitioner who would it be? 
Josh Hinger Why? His methodology, the way he views competition and his mindset, they are exactly where I would want my mindset to be.

Who is your favorite competitor to watch? 
Lately Vagner, but I am not real savvy about watching too many competitors.

Who is your favorite TX competitor to watch? (outside of your current affiliation)
My favs are in my affiliation though! Honestly thought I would say my friend Vanessa Lopez, she is just so technical and crafty!

What’s your perfect Jiu Jitsu playlist? 
A little rap, a little house, just variety! I love it all.

What do you remember about your first day of Jiu Jitsu?
 My son had been training there for a while so I already felt welcomed, it was a great experience.

What do you remember about your first tournament?
 How terrified I was, I never knew nerves like that.

What is your post-competition meal/restaurant? 
Anything with alcohol, my favorite would be Mexican food.

When you’re not training Jiu Jitsu, where can we most likely find you?
Working out. Yoga. Or at home cuddled up with my sexy boyfriend and rubbing on his hairy chest. That makes me happy.

Anything exciting coming up?
Master Worlds! Then focus on the next step and plan on my competition schedule.


0 comments: