Team Texas: Alana Kai

5:08 AM Moo 0 Comments


Name: Alana Kai

Rank: Purple

Where you train: The Holy Grail in Victoria, Tx

How long have you been training? 4-5 years

Favorite Gi? I do mostly nogi, but the gi I do have is the Wartribe Ice Weave gi. It’s super light and breathable. I barely feel like I’m wearing a gi.

What’s in your gym bag? I try to keep the essentials in there. So I always have travel size shampoo/conditioner, body wash, extra contacts and contact solution, travel size hair styling products, body lotion, and body spray, makeup remover wipes and face cleansing wipes, extra hair ties, a towel, my nogi gear, and extra clothes. 😅

Favorite submission? My favorite submission is the Kimura. I especially like using the kimura trap system to link other submissions and positions together.

Favorite thing about the Jiu Jitsu community in Texas? I love how close the community is and how supportive everyone can be when someone from the state is competing, especially if they travel outside of Texas.

What’s one thing you would change about the Texas Jiu Jitsu community? I wish that more people would support sub-only, cash prize invitationals here in Texas. We have to travel out of state all the time to get paid to compete. I would also like to see more women compete.

What is your greatest accomplishment? My greatest accomplishment is winning my title match on submission hunter pro. I’ve always wanted to be a title holder. It’s nice to finally have a belt to hang next to the three Jordan has! 😂

What has been your biggest struggle in Jiu Jitsu? If I’m being honest, my greatest struggle is leaving my emotions out of jiujitsu. I’m an emotional person, so often times I’ll cry or get angry or both after a session. It’s been way less frequent lately, but it’s something I have to make a conscious effort at dealing with. It usually has nothing to do with the person I’m training with. I just want to be the best so if I ever feel like I’m not, I get emotional. I get more frustrated at myself over anyone else. I’m my own worst critic.

If you could give any advice to your white belt self, what would it be? I would tell myself that this journey is full of peaks and valleys. You’ll have good days and you’ll have bad days. It’s ok to not be perfect at something right away. Just trust the process and keep working hard for the results you want.

What motivates you to train on days when you just don’t feel like it? Jesus and Jordan (my fiancé) are my main motivation. What really drives me though when I just don’t feel like doing anything is the fact that I don’t want anyone else out there working harder than me.

If you could take a private lesson with any Jiu Jitsu practitioner who would it be? Why? 
Marcelo Garcia. He’s a legend and his game has had a big influence on my Jiu Jitsu.

Who is your favorite competitor to watch? I honestly have to say I love watching my fiancé, Jordan Holy, compete. I know how much work he puts in, so seeing it come to life in his competitions is truly incredible. ❤️

Who is your favorite TX competitor to watch? (outside of your current affiliation)
Aaron Morris. He’s a black belt that owns Parthenon Jiujitsu in San Antonio. He stops at our gym sometimes to train and he’s a great roll. Every time I watch him compete he gets better. I love seeing his progression in the sport. He’s also competing out of state now, too. His next match is Midwest Finishers in Chicago on June 22nd.

What’s your perfect Jiu Jitsu playlist? Anything with Twenty One Pilots, Minus the Bear, Deftones, and J Cole.

What do you remember about your first day of Jiu Jitsu? I remember getting swept every five seconds. Lots of frustration from not being able to do anything and not knowing what to do. However, it’s the first time something didn’t come naturally to me so I wanted to come back to get better.

What do you remember about your first tournament? I remember being scared out of my mind. I remember stepping on to the mat and not even really noticing my opponent because I couldn’t see straight. I didn’t even realize what was happening. I was shaking so bad. My forearms started cramping from gripping so hard.

What is your post-competition meal/restaurant? Pappasito’s for sure. Chips and queso are life! Post weigh in go to is always Olive Garden. It’s a great place to carb up before matches.

When you’re not training Jiu Jitsu, where can we most likely find you? I’m honestly not too exciting 😂. If I’m not training I’m either lifting weights, watching anime or some other show with Jordan, eating, or sleeping.

Anything exciting coming up? I’m competing in the Subspectrum 125lb Women’s Invitational on June 29th in Des Moines, Iowa.

0 comments: