Team Texas: Roger Narvaez

12:04 AM Moo 0 Comments


Rank: 1st-degree black belt

School: Narvaez Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Corpus Christi, Tx

How long have you been training? 13 years

Favorite Gi?  Gameness Feather

What's in your gym bag? Mouthpiece, finger tape, MMA equipment

Favorite Submission: Rear Naked Choke

What do you like the most about the TX Jiu Jitsu community? 
The Brotherhood. Although there are some douchebags out there, for the most part, the community is close knit and very welcoming.

What is one thing you would change about the Jiu Jitsu community?
Get rid of all the egotistical people who are more concerned with calling their gym the best than doing what it takes and laying on the line themselves to be the best.

What is an accomplishment you're proud of?
For me being the first born and breed MMA fighter to come out of Corpus Christi and sign a UFC contract.

What has been your greatest struggle in Jiu Jitsu?
Believing that I belong, fighting the best in the world. Often times I build people up more than they are .I am finally past that point and will fight anyone believing that on any given day I could beat them.

What advice would you give your white belt self?
Focus on the technical aspect of the game. Not just how many people you can or can’t submit. Focus on the smaller intricacies of each and every position and technique.

What motivates you train on days where you don't want to?
I don’t really need motivation. I love Jiu Jitsu! I seriously can’t think of a day where I wasn’t excited about training Jiu Jitsu. One day I won’t be able to push myself the way I do now so until then I will cherish every single training session!

If you could take a private lesson with anyone who would it be?
Marcelo Garcia...as a large guy it amazes me the success that he had in his earlier years against the biggest and best monsters of the game. He is the definition of how Jiu Jitsu works!


Who is your favorite competitor to watch?
I enjoy watching Meragali, the tenacity and intensity at which he competes is unrivaled. I love it!

What's on your Jiu Jitsu playlist?
A little of everything...Tool, Rocky soundtrack, Kanye, with some J Cole...it’s kind of all over the place...lol.

What was your first day of Jiu Jitsu like?
I dislocated my shoulder while rolling with my coach. I came back the next day and did what I could, sat and watched technique and everyone else roll. I was hooked after day 1.

What do you remember about your first tournament?
It was in the RGV. I was a brand new blue belt. I closed out the gi and no gi divisions and had an absolutely amazing time!

What is your post-competition meal?
It depends....sometimes a good salad, soup, and sandwich from Jason’s deli. If it was an extremely hard practice and a cheat meal is due, then I'm scarfing a whole pizza from a locally owned pizza joint named B&J’s and drinking a few IPAs!

If you're not on the mat, where can we find you?
I’m a busy body. I’m always on the go, hanging with friends BBQing and traveling. I've been doing a lot more traveling lately.

Anything exciting coming up?
Defending my title against Inacio Neto. I’ve lost to him once before and am looking forward to the opportunity to redeem myself. Also, it looks like I’ll be stepping back in the cage sometime soon...like real soon!

0 comments: