Team Texas: Nico Echeverry

12:10 PM Moo 0 Comments


Name: Nico Echeverry

Rank: Brown Belt

Where you trainACS MMA

How long have you been training?
I've been training consistently for about 9 years now.

Favorite Gi?  I'mma be honest witchu. It's the gi I'm wearing at the time.

What’s in your gym bag?
Well, I tend to use a grocery bag for it so I guess just my no-gi clothes.

Favorite submission?
Anything that the coach warns the class with "now be careful guys. You could tear your training partner's [insert body part here]."

Favorite thing about the Jiu Jitsu community in Texas?

The fact that there are so many people from different walks of life. I love the diversity.

What’s one thing you would change about the Texas Jiu Jitsu community?

There are some egos. I get that you're confident in your game and that you're super proud of where you train and stuff, but dude chill.

What is your biggest accomplishment?

2017 Dungal Absolute Champion

What has been your biggest struggle in Jiu Jitsu?

Nothing really physical. Just lots of self-doubt and lack of confidence in the past.

If you could give any advice to your white belt self, what would it be?

"Stay out of mount dip weed.  Tire him out in side control, THEN go to mount."

What motivates you to train on days when you just don’t feel like it?

I always ask myself, "Nico, when has there been a time when you regretted going to training? None. How many times have you regretted not going to training when you could have? Every time. Now go train you pansy."

If you could take a private lesson with any Jiu Jitsu practitioner who would it be?

Keenan Cornelius

Who is your favorite Texas BJJ Practitioner to watch (outside of your current team/affiliation)

Evan Gideon, Dean Zaino, or Jason Soliz.

What’s your perfect Jiu Jitsu playlist?

Anything that has a rock and R&B feel to it. For instance The Heavy. Love their stuff.

What do you remember about your first day of Jiu Jitsu?

If I start in his guard and get tapped I won't feel as bad. Proceeds to get swept and put in a can opener

 What do you remember about your first tournament?

It was at U of H and it was so much fun. I met some co people and fell in love with competing.

Anything exciting coming up?

I'm fighting for Fury FC on June 29th. The following day I am gonna eat myself into a Donut coma.

0 comments: