Team Texas: Kevin Entrades

1:22 AM Moo 0 Comments


Name: Kevin Entrades

Rank: Yellow

Where you train: Ground Dwellers

How long have you been training? Almost 6 years. I started when I was 5yrs old. I started in Pennsylvania with Tiger Shulmanns MMA. Then I started training at 10th Planet Bethlehem before moving here to Texas and now I’m with Professor Eddie Avelar at Ground Dwellers.

Favorite Gi: Don’t really know any. I did most of my training in NoGi.

What’s in your gym bag? My Gi, my Belt, sometimes I’ll bring some medals I’ve won in tournaments to show my teammates.

Favorite submission? I have two. I like Triangles and Armbars.

Favorite thing about the Jiu Jitsu community in Texas? I like how with the kids divisions there’s a lot of sportsmanship. We can compete against each other and play and hang out afterward like we didn’t just try to choke each other out.

What’s one thing you would change about the Texas Jiu Jitsu community? 
I don’t know I guess more local super fight opportunities for kids.

What is your biggest accomplishment? I can’t just say one thing. I think just my journey itself and how far I’ve gotten and how much I’ve improved. I have so much more room to get better.

What has been your biggest struggle in Jiu Jitsu? I guess taking my training seriously. I always use to play around and not listen but now I feel my focus is better and I will get better.

If you could give any advice to your white belt self, what would it be? You're not always going to come in destroying everyone on the mats. It’s going to take time. You have to be patient. It will just click one day and you’ll see how much better you’ve gotten since you started.

What motivates you to train on days when you just don’t feel like it? My dad will push me to keep training. He trains also, so if I don't feel like not training he says we have made a commitment and we need to honor it. Obviously unless your injured then yea get better but just not feeling it doesn’t fly in my house. Lol

If you could take a private lesson with any Jiu Jitsu practitioner who would it be? Eddie Bravo

Outside of your current team/affiliation, who is your favorite Texas BJJ Practitioner to watch?
Victor Pozas from Darkside. I love how good he is at leg attack’s and that’s something I want to get good at.

What’s your perfect Jiu Jitsu playlist?
Playlists would have, Panic of the Disco, Fall out Boy , Eminem , Post Malone and Xxxtencion.

What do you remember about your first day of Jiu Jitsu? I was the biggest most annoying kid. I didn’t know what was going on so I just took it as a big joke.

What do you remember about your first tournament? I got smashed. The kid just sat on me the whole match. I wasn’t nervous I was actually kind of hyped, but I didn’t want to lose so I was mad.

Anything exciting coming up? I’ll be doing some local tournaments maybe. I know I’ll be doing Fuji and Submission only In Austin.  I will also be doing my first IBJJF Tournament on June 22nd.  I’ve never been able to do it since we can’t afford to fly to California or Las Vegas so I’m excited they’ll be in Houston.  I hope to have a super fight again sometime soon. My dream is to be invited to Onnit.

0 comments: